Labels
Highlighted
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Price rule from Configuration Attribute (increase total of category if Config Attribute selected)

Hi,

I have a pretty simple issue I need help with, I need to apply a Price Rule when a configuration attribute is selected. I have tried reading the Price rule 1 article and Configuration Attribute article without success.

To set the scene, I have:

• A number of bundles containing multiple products
  • Each bundle is its own category e.g. Hardware
  • Each bundle has a Configuration attribute with 3 options related to a faster time of delivery (Standard, Expedited, and Premium) 
  • Delivery is calculated as follows: 
  •       Premium: 200% of category (Hardware) total
  •       Expedited: 100% of category (Hardware) total

My calculation for 'Expedited' (Net total of category + 100%) involves the following:

• A Summary Variable calculating the net cost of the Hardware category.
  • A price rule that includes a Price Condition to reference the above Summary Variable.
  • A Price Action with a formula of: SBQQ__NetTotal__c*2

I think I am missing how to link the Configuration Attribute selection to the price rule.

Any help is greatly appreciated and let me know if I need to provide more information.

Best,

Rob

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/robhawthorn/
Community Manager

Re: Price rule from Configuration Attribute (increase total of category if Config Attribute selected

Config attributes are not directly accessible by price rules, because the config attributes exist only in the context of the Config page, and you price rule needs to target the quote line editor. Therefore, you need to take a slightly different path.

First, make sure you have on the quote line a field with the same API name and the same data type as the field you use for your configuration attribute. Having that mirror field on the quote line with create a bi-directional automatic mapping between the config attribute (from the Config page) and the Quote Line (in the line editor).

Now that you have a field on the quote line that holds the value selected in the attribute during config, you can have your price rule work directly with the quote lines.

That part is fairly easy to handle.

What you have to consider then is whether or not the Delivery SKU is discountable. If it is discountable, the net price of that delivery SKU will require another calculation sequence for the pricing engine to apply that discretionary discount. The net effect for the user is to click the "Calculate" button twice for example.

So if you are in this situation, your price rule will also have to calculate the discounted net unit price, and inject it into the Net Price managed field. With that second action on the price rule, you should no longer need two calculation cycles to get to the correct end result.

Gilles Muys
Solution Architect Director
Contributor

Re: Price rule from Configuration Attribute (increase total of category if Config Attribute selected

Hi Gilles,

Thanks very much for the quick response. I'll test this out now and come back to mark as best solution.

Thanks again,

Rob

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/robhawthorn/
Contributor

I will chime in with a note to consider. I was also struggling to get a configurable attribute passed along to my line items & subscriptions. I did have the field mirrored on my quote line but is was not passing over. I noticed there was a hidden checkbox field on the "Configuration Attribute" object called "Apply To Product Options". After I added that to the layout & selected it, then the attribute value was passed along. Hope that helps someone!

Community Manager

The purpose of the "Apply to Product Options" checkbox is to map the config attributes not only to the bundle line, but also to the components of that bundle. If that checkbox is not selected, the quote lines corresponding to the components of the bundle should have no value in the mirror fields of the config attributes. That is by design.

Gilles Muys
Solution Architect Director