If your organization has set renewals to automatically create contracts and assets for a renewal quote, you can automate upgrades for those assets. You can also automatically apply credits to the upgrade SKU if you discount customers for upgrading, or apply discounts for unused maintenance on those products.
You may sell a Standard Edition license at a price of $100 and a Professional Edition license for $500. You incentivize customers by charging $300 to upgrade from the Standard to Professional Edition, plus a $50 discount toward their next subscription license. SteelBrick CPQ handles proration for you by retiring the original Standard Edition asset and automatically replacing it with the new one.
1. Create asset products, such as Standard Edition and Professional Edition
2. Create an upgrade target, such as Standard-to-Professional Edition Upgrade. This upgrade target will represent the price to upgrade from the Standard to Professional Edition.
3. Navigate to your upgrade product, Standard-to-Professional Edition Upgrade, and fill in the following fields:
Standard Edition (this will be retired and replaced with the product in the upgrade target field)
Professional Edition (This is the Product that will replace the upgrade target when an Asset is generated)
4. If you offer a discount or credit to customers making the Standard to Professional Edition Upgrade, create a Product, such as Standard Edition Upgrade Credit, with a negative price and add this as the Standard Edition’s Upgrade Credit.
5. Enable Asset Upgrades:
6. Users will now be able to upgrade assets by:
As of Minor Release 25.1, users can make amendments to upgrade Assets within product bundles and decrease the quantity of existing assets when an upgrade target is present on an Amendment Quote. This will allow users to swap or upgrade user licenses, add additional licenses and add new products all using the amendment process.
Note: To use this feature, you must enable the Package setting "Include Net-New Products in Maintenance." Without this setting enabled, any new Products you add to an Amendment - including upgrades - won't get included in existing Percent of Total Subscription maintenance. Thus, they won't carry through to subsequent Renewals and Amendments unless you add a new Percent of Total Subscription that covers them.
In this example, you have 5 Bronze Widgets already on a Contract within an Account and wish to upgrade 3 of these to Silver Widgets. The Quote Line containing these Bronze Widgets is covered by a Percent of Total Subscription.
This use case requires that you have:
Optional: Upgrade Credit Product to offer a discount for upgrading from Bronze to Silver
On the Edit Lines page of the Amendment Quote, reduce the quantity of the Bronze Widgets from 5 to 2. Click Save.
|Bronze Widget with quantity of 5||This represents a historical record of the original purchase.|
|Bronze Widget with quantity of -3||This represents the Bronze Widget quantity reduction from 5 to 2 that we performed on the Amendment.|
Silver Widget with
quantity of 3
|This represents the upgraded widgets.|