Change Auto-Populate Behavior in New Quotes

by Community Manager on ‎08-12-2015 03:51 PM - edited 3 weeks ago by Community Manager

OVERVIEW

Quote Fields that are synced to fields on other records can now be set up to auto-populate when a sales rep begins creating a new Quote. Previously, sales reps would spend time re-entering Quote fields because they couldn’t see which fields already contained Opportunity or Account information until they saved the Quote record for the first time.

ADMINISTRATION

Add Fields that will be auto-populated: 

1. Navigate to Setup | Develop | Custom Settings | Field Metadata.
  2. Select Manage.metada_edit.png
  3. Select New on the Field Metadata page.
  4. Enter the NameField Name and Object Name of the Field you wish to auto-populate. In this example, we're using the Bill to Name field from the Quote object.field_metadata.png
  5. Select Save.
  6. Repeat for as many Fields as you want to be auto-populated.

SETUP

Billing

When billing fields are set to auto-populate, bill-to information is pulled from the billing account. This account can be either the distributor, partner or direct account based on varying circumstances:

• By default, bill-to information is pulled from the quote distributor account.
  • If the contract does not have a quote distributor, billing information is pulled from the partner account.
  • If the contract does not have a partner account, billing information is pulled from the direct account.

Shipping

When shipping fields are set to auto-populate, they will pull information from the customer account. If ship-to information within the customer account is empty, the auto-populating fields will instead pull from bill-to information based on the billing source established above.

Partner

Admins will need to create special fields on related Opportunities in order for the Primary Contact and Partner fields to auto-populate on the Quote.

• Primary ContactQuotePrimaryContact__c
  • PartnerQuotePrimaryPartner__c

NOTES

You can configure the following fields to auto-populate:

Field Name API Name
Account SBQQ__Account__c
Billing City SBQQ__BillingCity__c
Billing Country SBQQ__BillingCountry__c
Billing Name SBQQ__BillingName__c
Billing Postal Code SBQQ__BillingPostalCode__c
Billing State SBQQ__BillingState__c
Billing Street SBQQ__BillingStreet__c
Distributor SBQQ__Distributor__c
Partner SBQQ__Partner__c
Primary Contact * SBQQ__PrimaryContact__c
Sales Rep SBQQ__SalesRep__c
Shipping City SBQQ__ShippingCity__c
Shipping Country SBQQ__ShippingCountry__c
Shipping Name SBQQ__ShippingName__c
Shipping Postal Code SBQQ__ShippingPostalCode__c
Shipping State SBQQ__ShippingState__c
Shipping Street SBQQ__ShippingStreet__c

* Primary Contact can only be auto-filled by another type of Contact. This is because the Primary Contact exists on the Quote and fields cannot auto-populate themselves.

Comments
by joehamlet
on ‎01-26-2016 09:54 AM

So since you are using the ID field as the name, I assume that this isn't easily deployed to other environments that have unique IDs. We would have to change the ID for each field we want populated in each environment? 

by FedeMiguez
on ‎09-12-2016 06:44 PM

Is there a way to implement this but for Custom Fields? I want to auto populate a Technical Contact field (Lookup) which exist in the Opportunity.

Thanks

by joehamlet
on ‎09-13-2016 08:34 AM

Not that I am aware of... you will most likely have to use process builder flows, apex triggers, or an appexchange solution like Lookup Helper. 

by Andrew_Johnson
on ‎09-28-2016 01:06 PM

@joehamlet - i bult out a custom button on the opportunity object that launches a flow. This way, i can control what data is brought over upon creation and also add in a "wizard" of sorts. there might be a way of doing this already, but we also wanted to hide the record create screen from our users since it is a ton of data. 

No code below:-)

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 11.04.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 11.05.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 11.05.24 AM.png

by joehamlet
on ‎09-29-2016 12:47 PM

Ok, that is the direction we are going as well - Visual Process Flow to create new quotes... Not ideal, but it works. 

Thanks

by speedyb166
on ‎02-03-2017 09:42 AM

Can this be used to auto-populate fields on the Quote Line Group?  We have a need to auto-populate the Account field on a Quote Line Group in order to source a Lookup Filter on the Quote Line Group

by rich_e_veltig
on ‎02-16-2017 11:13 AM

Has anyone gotten SBQQ__Distributor__c to auto-populate?  I see that there is a need to create a custom field on the Opportunity for Partner (that works), but can't get the Distributor to work.  Tried QuotePrimaryDistributor__c, QuoteDistributor__c, PrimaryDistributor__c, but none of those work.

by thehayworth
on ‎05-15-2017 01:52 PM

The images in this article don't display for me. Can someone check links and fix please?

by AndrewD
on ‎05-18-2017 03:52 PM

Confirming I can't see the images either.

by Community Manager
on ‎05-18-2017 04:03 PM

Hi @AndrewD and @thehayworth - I'll work on getting the images here back up shortly.

by DaveO
on ‎05-19-2017 11:42 AM

I can't see the images either.

by vay
on ‎05-22-2017 11:26 PM

Hello Community, 

I would like to auto populate the account name on the quote Account field. How would I be able to do that ?

Thanks, 

by MCEvolution
Wednesday

Is it possible to set the opportunity field to auto-populate?