Dynamic Bundles

by Community Manager on ‎12-22-2015 09:59 AM - edited on ‎03-02-2017 11:38 AM by Community Manager

OVERVIEW

Dynamic Bundles allow your sales reps to choose bundle options on their own while you use Product Filter Rules to control which Products they can select from.

DynamicBundles.png

DETAILS

Admins can set up their bundles to allow configuration flexibility for their reps: 

• By structuring bundles so reps can only make certain choices, which is default functionality, or
  • By having a combination of pre-defined options available while still giving reps freedom to make their own choices

Nested Bundles

As of Salesforce CPQ 28.0, admins can set up dynamic features inside of a nested bundle. 

PROCEDURES

1. Navigate to your desired bundle product.
  2. Select New Product Feature or edit an existing Feature.
  3. Choose Dynamic from the Option Selection Method picklist.  See Product Features for more details.
  4. Choose a Dynamic Option Filter Field Set and Dynamic Option Lookup Field Set. SteelBrick provides the following default field set options: 
    Dynamic Option Filter Field Set ConfiguratorFilter: This field set contains the value displayed in the search filter that appears in the Option Lookup page.
    Dynamic Option Lookup Field Set ConfiguratorLookup: This field set contains the columns displayed on the Option Lookup Search Results page.
  5. Select Save.dynamic.png
  6. Create a Product Rule that will filter the Products you want to appear on the Option Lookup page for this dynamic product feature.  See Product Filter Rules for more information.

To change default Configurator Field Sets:

1. Navigate to Setup | Customize | Products | Field Sets
  2. Click Edit next to:
    • Configurator Filter:  By default, this field set contains the Product Code, Product Name and Product Family fields.
    • Configurator Lookup:  By default, this field set contains the Product Code, Product Name and Product Description fields. 
  3. Drag-and-drop fields to the field set.
  4. Click Save.

Note: There will be no Product Option Record for dynamically-added Quote Line Product Options. They are only considered to be part of a Bundle.

Note: When upgrading from an ealier version, you may need to update the following picklist fields:
- Product Feature Object - Option Selection Method Field: add "Dynamic" to the picklist value
- Product Rule Object - Type Field: add "Filter" to the picklist value
- Product Action Object - Type Field: add "Default Filter" and "Optional Filter" to the picklist values

RELATED TOPICS

Add Filter Rules

Comments
by TaserGeorge
on ‎01-15-2016 10:01 AM
The 2nd note at the end of this article mentions some picklist fields that need to be updated but does not say which ones. "When upgrading from an ealier version, you may need to update the following picklist fields."
by Community Manager
on ‎01-15-2016 11:45 AM

@TaserGeorge Thank you for notifying us of this mistake, we have since updated the article to answer your question. The following picklist fields may need to be updated if using Dynamic Bundles and Product Filter Rules:

- Product Feature Object - Option Selection Method Field: add "Dynamic" to the picklist value
- Product Rule Object - Type Field: add "Filter" to the picklist value
- Product Action Object - Type Field: add "Default Filter" and "Optional Filter" to the picklist values

Thank you for pointing this out and please continue to help us improve documentation by commenting on articles and posting support forum posts about specific use case questions. 

by ob
on ‎03-07-2016 12:22 PM

I have implemented all of the above, and my Dynamic feature now only displays the products I want when adding options. However when I click Save the desired Quote Line doesn't appear in the line editor.

by chickman2
on ‎09-08-2016 10:42 PM

@claughlin didn't there used to be a use case listed here? Either way could it be added? I am making reference to this article a lot as of late.

by HotspringNZ
on ‎09-27-2016 10:28 PM

When setting up DYNAMIC BUNDLES  ( which are very useful BTW) - there seems to be a limit to the number of products displayed in the product configurator- you can use the FILTER to find further products - but this is not obvious to the operator. Or have I not set a display limited somewhere????

by
on ‎10-17-2016 10:10 PM

Is there way to automatically set the initial values in the configurator filter fields, similar to how you can for guided selling?

For example, I have a bundle that has 12 month, 24 month, and 36 month products and I want to use a filter field that filters products based on the month term selected at the quote level. As such, I would like the filter field value for quote term months to automatically populated with a value of 12 as selected at the quote level.

Thanks,

Dan Hansen

by mseeley
‎03-30-2017 09:39 AM - edited ‎04-19-2017 09:59 AM

I followed the instructions above and am able to add products and add dynamic options to the bundle.  The problem I am having is after I have added the dynamic options and try to click on the wrench to reconfigure the dynamic bundle none of the options I have selected show up and I get the following error message.

"No visible options in feature"

This is a undocumented known issues.  Dynamic Bundles do not support cost based pricing.  It is possible that they also do not support other pricing methods other than list, I have not tested them all.