Package Product Description

by Community Manager on ‎12-22-2015 11:03 AM - edited on ‎10-17-2016 04:05 PM by Community Manager

OVERVIEW

The Package Product Description field, located on Bundle Products, will dynamically create a list of components chosen during Product configuration. Sales reps may then display this description on Quote Documents.PkgProdDesc_QuoteLine.png

KEY CONCEPTS & DEFINITIONS

• Package Product Description: This Quote Line field will display a list of bundle components based on the values selected in the Configured Description Pattern, Component Description and Component Description Position fields.
  • Component Description: Description for the component this Product Option represents. This field is used in conjunction with the configured description pattern field on the Product object.
  • Component Description Position: This field controls where the component description is located when Package Product Description generates the component list.
  • Configured Description Pattern: Users can enter static text in this field to appear with the Component Descriptions. 

SCENARIOS

• Provide more details on Bundle Product configuration outside the Configurator. 

SETUP

Admins may need to modify the following page layouts:

• Add the Configured Description Pattern field to the Product page layout
  • Add the Component Description field and the Component Description Position field to the Product Option page layout
  • Add the Package Product Description field to the Quote Line page layout

PROCEDURES 

1. Select your desired Parent Bundle and then select New Product Option.
  2. Enter text in the Component Description field.  
  3. Enter a numeric value in the Component Description Position field and then click Save. This represents where the Component Description will be placed in the overall Package Product Description.  
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 for all options that should be included in the package product description.  PkgProdDesc_Option.png
  5. Navigate back to the parent product selected in step 1.  
  6. Save static text in the Configured Description Pattern field.  
  7. Use Position Tags in the format of {1} {2} {3}. These bracketed numbers represent where the text from the Product Option's Component Description field will appear in the Package Product Description.  For example:  If you enter a value of 2 in the Component Description Position field, the text in its associated Component Description field will appear in the package product description where you have the tag: {2}.PkgProdDesc_Product.png

Tip: Make sure you properly map out how you want to structure the Product Package Description so that the proper descriptions appear in the correct place. 

The Package Product Description is specific to pre-defined product bundles and cannot be used with Product Options created through a Dynamic Bundle Feature. 

Comments
by wchang
on ‎01-15-2016 04:18 PM

@claughlin It seems like this only works for "pre-defined/stuctured" bundle, correct?

by Community Manager
on ‎01-15-2016 04:23 PM

@wchang Thank you for raising this question. You are correct, Package Product Description is specific to pre-defined bundles and cannot be used with dynamic bundle features. 

by Marchibald
on ‎06-16-2016 12:22 PM

Is it possible to add Configured Attributes to the description instead of Product Options?

by reneemidd
on ‎09-22-2016 03:17 PM

How do I get the Quote Template to pull from this field vs the Product Description Rich Text field for these items? Or copy over that value to the Product Description Rich Text?

by
on ‎01-21-2017 12:21 AM

Is there a way to get the position tags to not show if a product option is not selected that relates to the tag.Shown below is an example where I only selected on product option in the bundle, but the tags for the other two products still are displayed despite not selecting a 2nd and 3rd product.

Capture.JPG

by RohitSharma
on ‎01-25-2017 03:44 PM

In addition to the above mention, I'm also facing the same issue of showing up the tag ('{2}') if the Product is not selected. Please get back if it is a bug and when can it be fixed.

Also, I have a question regarding dynamic description that, 'Is it possible to get the quantity added to the pattern by using tags?' For e.g., I can show the text according to the pattern I provide, but what if in the same text, I also want to show the quantity of the Quote line item created?

Any insights to this would be appreciated!

by ChrisMcEntee
on ‎02-27-2017 11:21 AM

@RohitSharma did you ever find an answer to the issue of tags showing if the product is not selected?

Thanks

by CoryBartholomew
‎03-07-2017 11:27 PM - edited ‎03-07-2017 11:53 PM

@ChrisMcEntee,

I recently opened a case around this issue and it was closed as expected functionality.  I have inquired about the documentation/description of why it was designed this way as this fully seems like a bug to me.   

Their response has also indicated that I open an idea around the issue which I have done.   If you wish to upvote please refer to the idea titled: 

Package Product Description Should Not Include Tags For Unselected Options
by jacobbler
on ‎05-18-2017 09:23 AM

I read the dynamic description that wasn't working due to {} tags still showing was fixed in 27.0.3. On 27.0.33 - the brackets are no longer showing but the Package Product Description now shows a space when a component is not selected. So, still not working. 

Stelter Package Description.jpg

by Geddy
on ‎08-10-2017 03:37 AM

This is such a commong funcionality which fails.

1. If I have Optional Products under a Feature - which means that 1 or More can be selected in the Quote,

The Configured Componenet Position should be the same for all Options, but If we do so, it takes only the first option

2. The alternative is to have a diferent position for EACH of the options, but then If I dont select an option, it leavs a Blank space.

Common - such basic stuff!