Adding Summary Variables

by Community Manager on ‎08-13-2015 10:44 AM - edited on ‎06-22-2016 01:13 PM by Community Manager

OVERVIEW

A summary variable is a collection of products (on a quote) that can be used in features like product rules, price rules, validation rules and dynamic quote terms. Summary variables are similar to roll-up Summary Fields, except you do not have to store their values in a field.

Examples:

• Sum how many printers are sold, regardless of model.
  • Sum how many software packages are sold.
  • Sum how many users have purchased a certain combination of hardware, to determine whether a bundle or discount on that collection would be worthwhile

Locations

Summary variables may be used in:

• Quotes
  • Quote Line Fields
  • The Tested Variable field within the Error Condition of a Product Rule or Price Rule

Composite Variables

A Composite Variable is a Summary Variable with an additional calculation performed on the number of included products. For example, you could divide the number of ordered laptops by 12 to determine the number of access points that should be included with an order.

SETUP

USE CASE - SUMMARY VARIABLE

Your organization requires that the amount of printer toner on a quote must be greater than or equal to the number of printers on that quote. You'll need a Validation Rule that ensures these quantities are set appropriately - this Validation Rule will take a Summary Variable that sums the total of Printer toner on your Quote.

1. Create a Summary Variable that aggregates Toner Quantity in your Quote:toner.png
  2. Create a Validation Rule to check whether toner quantity is greater than or equal to printer quantity:vr.png
    1. Within this Validation Rule, create an Error Condition that uses your "Total Quantity of LJ-TONER" Summary Variable as its Filter Variable:svec.png
    2. Within this Product Rule, create a Configuration Rule:config.png
  3. This Validation Rule will now allow for error messages to display when the toner quantity is less than printer quantity in your quote:Toner.png

USE CASE - COMPOSITE VARIABLE

Your organization needs to caculate the number of wireless access points that should be added to a Quote. Twelve laptops can connect to one access point. Thus, you'll need to create a Composite Variable that sums the total number of laptops on a Quote and divides it by 12:SV.png

1. The Summary Variable should target the Quote Line in order to find all the laptops that have been added there. The variable is calculated by adding all the laptop quantities together, so the Aggregate Function should be Sum and the Aggregate Field should be Quantity.
  2. We want to target all laptops in the quote have the Product Code of AP-MBPRO. The Filter will thus look for all products with the Product Code that equals AP-MBPRO.
  3. The Composite Operator is set to Divide the variable determined by the Summary Variable and Filter Information by 12.
Comments
by ttrevisan
‎05-25-2016 12:26 PM - edited ‎05-25-2016 12:26 PM

Can you please provide a use case for the "Constraint Field"? Trying to understand how it is supposed to be used. @emaxwell Thank you!

by SG
on ‎11-08-2016 02:05 PM

Can I use a formula field in the 'Aggregate field' Value? For example 'SBQQ__NetTotal__c' from Quote Line Object?

by klebicz
on ‎12-13-2016 11:41 AM

How can I add a new value to the Filter Field on the Summary Variable. I added Product Name to the drop down but when I select it and try to save I receive an error that Product Name does not exist.

Target Object: Quote Line

Aggregate Function: Sum

Aggregate Field: Quantity

Filter Field: Product Name 

Operator: Contains

Filter Value: Pump

Error: Invalid Data.
Review all error messages below to correct your data.
SBQQ__SummaryVariable__c [a4Uq00000009jTpEAI] references field Product Name, which does not exist. Please check your spelling.

I'm pretty new to this so I know I must be missing a step.

Thanks in advance.

by LeanneArdley
on ‎01-26-2017 05:43 PM

@klebicz

I believe that any picklist values added must reference the API Name, rather than the label of the field - which would be "SBQQ__ProductName__c" in this instance. Does that fix the issue?

by rm192606
on ‎05-04-2017 11:18 AM

@fshapiro

Is there a limit to how high a summary variable can sum a quantity? Running into an error after we enter a quantity higher than 5000. The error is from our price rule stating 'No metadata was retreived for field SBQQ__QuoteLine__c.Event_Registration_Quantity__c'. 

We are injecting the quantity from a summary variable into the Event_Registration_Quantity__c and it works great until we enter a quantity greater than 5,000. We then receive the above error. 

Thanks

by eric_shiraishi
on ‎09-05-2017 08:23 AM

Hi @lvoelz2,

I'm trying to use the constraint field comparing a quote line field with the quote.

I've created two formula fields with the same api name on the quote and the quote line, but the summary variable with constraint is not working.

How should I use it?

Thanks.

by Community Manager
on ‎09-05-2017 09:58 AM

@eric_shiraishi 

We are sunsetting community.steelbrick.com and focusing now on monitoring the CPQ and Billing section of success.salesforce.com 

Can you please post your question as a new topic there? 

Thank you!

by DVM
2 weeks ago

@dpenrod What about Knowledge Base and articles you have? Is there a new location for most recent updates on these knowledge base / articles / tutorials?

by Community Manager
2 weeks ago

@DVM we are in the process of migrating the valuable content here to salesforce knowledge. But until at least April the existing articles here will stay available. 

by DVM
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Thank you @dpenrod for confirmation. Assuming till April the updates will happen here as well. If not, would appreciate sharing the link that we can bookmark review alogn with this forum. Thanks.