Automatically Grouping Line Items in Quote Templates

by Community Manager on ‎08-13-2015 01:29 PM - edited on ‎04-07-2016 02:34 PM by Community Manager

Quote line items can appear in a single list or separate lists of groupings that you designate using a standard or custom field on your quote templates.

Example

You can automatically group your quote line items by Product Family.

Users can override this automatic grouping on individual quotes by selecting the Group Line Items field and manually grouping line items on a quote.

Questions to Get You Started

Before you begin, it's important to determine what field has the value you want to use when automatically grouping line items.

• Do you want to group line items automatically? If so, based on what?
  • Should each quote list line item display in either hardware or software?
  • Should users manually group these line items? 

To automatically group quote line items, If it is a custom field on the Products object: 

1. Create a formula field on the Quote Line object that mirrors the one on the Product Object. Do this so that you can select this field on your quote template.
  2. Ensure and verify both fields have the same name.
  3. Navigate to Setup | Create | Objects | Quote Template | Group Field.
  4. Click Edit.
  5. Click New in the Picklist Values section.
  6. Add a value to this picklist that has the API name for the custom Quote Line field.
  7. Click Save.
  8. Navigate to your Quote Template. If that window was already open in your browser, refresh the screen.
  9. Click the dropdown next to Group Field and select the field you added in step 6.
  10. Save.

Note: If you group by a standard product field, use a workflow field update to populate the value of a custom field on the Quote Line object.

Tip: If you want the heading label for your grouping to be determined by a different field than you grouping, create a group label field on the Quote Line object using this naming convention: [field name] + "Label__c". For example, if the API name of your Group Field is "Required__c", the label field for it would be called "RequiredLabel__c".

Comments
by KevinW
on ‎10-01-2015 04:32 PM

What about Sub- Grouping? I cannot get this to work at all. PLease provide some documentation in this regard.

by SueA
on ‎08-16-2016 02:28 PM

I have a question about using Product Family on a Quote Template. I thought that if I selected 'Product Family' for the Group Field variable in the quote template, then when my Quote Document was produced, each of my Product Families would show up in different 'box'. This is not what I'm seeing. Is there something else I need to do to make this work?

by Jean
on ‎01-05-2017 08:14 AM

Hi,

I have a picklist field on product

I have a formula field on Quote Line mirroring the Product Picklist

I added the Field API name to the Quote Template Group Field picklist

I updated the value of this field on my Quote template record and while previewing I still have my product list displayed unordered and with no grouping per the selected field.

Does anyone have an idea what may have gone wrong?

thaks in advance

Jean

by Louis
on ‎01-05-2017 08:14 AM

This doesn't work for us either :

1- Formula field on Quote line - Check

2- Field with same name on Product object - Check

3- Group field in Quote template with the good API - Check

At the end of the day our products still remain in the same group and without any order even though they have different values. 

Any idea on how to make this work ?

by SueA
on ‎01-06-2017 09:32 AM

Louis -

I did finally get it working. I know I had to put SBQQ__ProductFamily__c in the Group Field (Quote Template). I'm not sure what else I did. I can investigate more if this doesn't solve the problem.

Sue.

by LeanneArdley
on ‎02-01-2017 03:14 PM

I am using a custom field "Top_Bundle__c" on the Quote Line to do my grouping. It's displaying and grouping correctly, but the text of the grouping is wrapping onto a new line. Is there a way to widen the grouping heading label? I have 3 line columns in my table, my heading is on the left, and the line column below it is about twice it's width - so it can't be because of that. I'm struggling to understand how this column heading width is being defined. Any ideas?

by unnatshrestha
on ‎02-03-2017 04:50 AM

Hi Leanne,

I think you just have to set the field "Group Gap (px)" to some value, for example 15 or 20. See if that helps!

Thanks,
Unnat

by LeanneArdley
on ‎02-06-2017 12:18 PM

@unnatshrestha

I'm afraid that doesn't work. Using that field sets the vertical indent between the groups in the quote. 

What I am looking for is a way to widen the space allowed for the group name. Here's a screenshot: Space for Group Name.png

by Bretagnetelecom
on ‎02-26-2017 05:47 AM

sub group dont work for me

do you have example?

Arnaud

by blis
on ‎05-12-2017 10:04 AM

@SueA Just wanted to post this on here for visibility as I recently came across this-

Using the out of the box "Product Family" field in Group Field doesn't work if "Allow output document in foreign languages" isn't checked in the installed package's configuration. Using the proper SBQQ__ProductFamily__c API name is what is recommended if you find yourself in that scenario. That seems to be a limitation of the core salesforce platform when introducing translation functionality

@Bretagnetelecom the sub grouping field only sorts the fields within the however the quote template is grouped