Generate Documents

by Community Manager on ‎12-22-2015 10:50 AM - edited 3 weeks ago by Community Manager

OVERVIEW 

Click Generate Document on your Quote to generate a downloadable Quote document from one of your Quote Templates. You can also click Preview Document to quickly display a non-downloadable and non-printable instance of your Quote.

DETAILS

Permissions

If documents should be visible to users other than the creator, they must be saved in a folder that all required viewers have permission to see. You can select this folder in Package Settings | Documents | Document Folder.

Image Fields in Template Content

Caution:Documents will not generate if any of your Template Content contains an image formula that directs to an non-functional URL. We recommend image formula logic that doesn't return a non-functional URL if the image ID is invalid. 

PROCEDURES

When a sales rep is ready to generate the Quote document:

1. Click the Generate Document button from the Quote object. 
  2. Choose a Document Language. This picklist will be populated with all languages that Salesforce CPQ supports.  We recommend communicating to your sales reps which Locales you have available for translated quote documents. 

Note: When you want to translate a generated Quote into a different language, ensure you set a specific document language rather than Default. When you select Default, Salesforce CPQ automatically displays content in the language you're working in and does not translate anything.

3. Choose a Template
  4. Select an Output Format.
  5. Enter a Document Name. This name will refer to the Document after it has been saved to its target destination and Documents. Note: This name will only save once the user clicks Preview Document and then downloads the Quote. Clicking Preview alone will not save the new name.
  6. Choose any Additional Documents you want to add.  Document names are prefixed to indicate what they're related to Product, Quote, Quote Template, or Opportunity.  
  7. Select one of the following actions: 
    Button

Description

Save Click to generate the document in the background and save to target destination and Documents. 
    Save & Email Click to generate the document and to open a task that allows you to email the document to a Contact.  You can copy additional recipients, create an email message, and attach additional files.  
    Preview Click to open a Preview of the quote document.  This will appear in a pop-up window unless the administrator has enabled Full Page Preview from Configuration Settings.
    Cancel

Click to cancel the document generation; the document will not save to target destination and Documents. 

Generate documents in non-PDF formats

1. On the sidebar, expand the Manage Users list and select Users.  
  2. Click Edit next to the user you wish to give permission to.  
  3. Toggle Allow Output Format Change to True.  NOTE: You may have to add this field to the page layout.
  4. On the Generate Document page, the user can now access the Output Format picklist, where a list of valid file types will be shown for them for document generation. 

Previewing Quote Documents

When you click Preview Document, you can choose only the quote's template and paper size. After clicking Preview, you'll see a copy of your quote in your browser's PDF viewer. Salesforce CPQ does not support downloading or printing previewed documents from any browser - follow the Generate Document process if you want to download or print.

SEE ALSO

Batch Document Generation for Renewal Quotes

Localization

Comments
by WimvB
on ‎04-01-2016 05:10 AM

Cannot see how to activate the Word option. 

"

1. On the sidebar, expand the Manage Users list and select Users.  

"

Whre is this located, cannot see this

by janva
on ‎09-02-2016 01:46 AM

Question: When selecting output as Word document , selecting some additional documents (pdf and word) and then saving. When I open the generated document I see that only the Quote Template has been generated as Word. Where are my additional documents? Why aren't they added to the doc and also being converted to word? Maybe my expectation was to high?

Could it bee that it only generates the Quote Template itself as word and that additional docs are only generated as supplementary attachemnts when choosing to Save and email to customer?

by Glenda_Trintech
on ‎09-13-2016 07:59 AM

I would like to know if it is possible to reduce the clicks here... I'd like to create a custom button that will generate the quote document without going to the generate document screen. Could you please share the  code or URL to generate the document so I could put that code in a custom button? Thanks!

by ksherwin
on ‎09-14-2016 11:16 AM

Is it possible to prevent a document from being Saved based on an Approved Quote via Configuration?

Use Case:

Prevent Users from Saving a Document unless the Quote has been approved so to prevent accidental attachments to clients. 

by MD
on ‎11-13-2016 09:30 PM

Is it possible to change the Default Document Name?

by
on ‎12-01-2016 11:25 PM

The checkbox "Allow Output Format Change" is on the actual User object layout and needs to be added to be configurable to true. 

I went to Setup, then selected Manage Users. Selected my User profile, then edited the layout to add the field and set it to true.

by janscherer
on ‎01-12-2017 06:35 AM

I would like to change the behaviour for Save & Email. Can we define that the What ID of the task is set to the SBQQ.Quote instead of the Opportunity? How?

by debbersP
on ‎01-31-2017 08:30 PM

I'd like to know that too.  Also, how can we pick up the primary contact from the quote to put in the "to" field?

by rm192606
on ‎02-20-2017 11:16 PM

Wondering if there is a field on the Generate Document VisualForce page that captures the output language of the document that was generated. Our billing system needs to know which language the Document was generated in and I haven't been ablet to find a field that holds a record of this language. 

Any information is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Robert

by Community Manager
on ‎02-22-2017 12:15 PM

@rm192606 We do have a field on the quote to store the language when we do mass document generation, but not for when manually generating a quote.  You should log an Idea for this feature request.

by rm192606
on ‎02-23-2017 09:11 AM

@tpastorino thank you for the response. Just so I understand the concept, at what point would you do Mass Document Generation? I've never heard of any sort of batch quote doc creation before.

Thanks again!  

by Community Manager
on ‎02-23-2017 12:14 PM